The COVID-19 pandemic has brought overwhelming grief to many families. FEMA has made it a mission to help people before, during and after disasters. They are dedicated to helping ease some of the financial stress and burden caused by the virus. FEMA is providing financial assistance for COVID-19-related funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020.
To be eligible for funeral assistance, you must meet these conditions:
- The death must have occurred in the United States.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
- There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national or qualified alien.
- The deceased person’s death certificate must indicate the death was attributed to or caused by COVID-19. If a death occurred between Jan. 20 and May 16, 2020, and the death certificate doesn’t attribute the death to COVID-19, include a signed statement from the death certificate’s certifying official, local coroner or medical examiner that links the cause of death to COVID-19.
Which expenses will qualify for reimbursement? Examples of eligible expenses may include, but not limited to:
- A marker or headstone
- Clergy or officiant services
- The use of funeral home equipment or staff
- Cremation or interment costs
- Transportation to identify the deceased individual The transfer of remains
- A burial plot or cremation niche
What information do I need to provide to FEMA? Please have the following information before contacting FEMA to apply:
- Name, social security number, date of birth, mailing address and contact phone numbers.
- Name, social security number and date of birth for each deceased individual.
- Location or address where the deceased individual passed away.
- Documentation and receipts for any assistance already received from other sources, including burial or
- funeral insurance, donations, voluntary agencies, other government programs or non-profit organizations.
- The name and information of any co-applicant(s) if anyone besides yourself incurred funeral expenses for
- the deceased individual(s).
For more information on how to apply for FEMA’s COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program, please visit FEMA.gov/funeral-assistance/faq or call the helpline at 1-844-684-6333.